I whipped up a makeup bag on Sunday.
Designed to be just a bit longer than my eyebrow pencil
It barely took 15 minutes to throw together and the hardest part was locating a zipper foot for my sewing machine. The accessories for my machine are currently AWOL and will probably turn up at the bottom of a stash box one day. The benefit of having a spare sewing machine (or two) is having additional accessories. The drawback of owning more than one sewing machine is sounding like a person who can’t control her impulses but I figure they don’t make ’em like they used to. Besides both of us use them.
Though only only of us sews makeup bags.
How many sewing machines do you own?
The Simple Weaves book has a pattern for guest towels in M’s and O’s that I thought would be perfect for the Cottolin yarn I bought in Sweden a few years ago. It was perfect.
This gentleman’s robe is made in a robust flannel and is based on Butterick Classics pattern 6968.
I made a few modifications as the pattern I purchased from my local thrift store was a Medium and my beloved would typically wear a size L or XL, depending on cut. He also wanted a shogun-style robe which to him meant belt loops over the hips and no patch pockets. Patch pockets would be a risk – one bad interaction with a door handle and the patch pocket would be but a shadow of its former self.
- added belt loops. You don’t want your belt dropping in unguarded moments.
- the belt has an inner core of calico for strength and to increase longevity.
- pieced front band. The band is not matched. I don’t care and nor does my beloved. This was a design choice.
- no cuffs on the sleeves. Cuffs on a robe just get in the way, in my experience. Unless you have domestic servants. We don’t. We have to do our own dishes and then cuffs definitely get in the way.
- added 1 inch of width from shoulder to hem for increased coverage and comfort.
A quick picture of a project I completed in 2017. In Australia little people need a library bag when they head off to school. From what I hear this isn’t a requirement in the US but I may have started a tradition by gifting it to a lovely little girl who lives in California. I hope its useful for her and her parents.
It was a fun project, using a Spotlight remnant licensed fabric for the outer layer and a fleecy cotton for the inside layer.
Who doesn’t love The Cat in the Hat?
I bought mosquito netting at the grand sum of 50 cents for a 25cm remnant at Spotlight yesterday and whipped up some proof of concept dry goods bags.
I tested the bags today. Concept proven. No good for flour though. I made three bags and each weighs 13-15 grams.
Do your projects sometimes take on a life of their own? This one did for me. It was intended to be a prototype but ended up as a project. Here’s the story:
I wanted to be true to the origins of the hanten jacket, a padded garment traditionally worn by workers.
Being true meant adding batting, which added complexity and a need for quilting.
Adding batting meant adding a lining, which for me was unbleached calico from my stash.
Following tradition meant having a contrasting neck band, which I read about online.
Being thrifty meant finding a wooden barrel button at the ops shop (charity shop.)
Using a button closure meant braiding a round kumihimo eight strand braid for the button loop and button band.
Using a round kumihimo eight strand braid closure meant learning how to transition that round braid to an eight strand flat braid so I could comfortably fit it under the sewing machine presser foot to attach it to the front band.
And dos it goes….
Pattern Source: Clothing from the Hands that Weave by Anita Luvera Mayer from Kay Faulkners extensive library.
In progress. I later swapped the fabric hanging loop for a braided one. Prototype closure elements.
Quilting template and kumihimo disk. 3/2 cotton for the braids.