The About.com:Quilting site’s pages about the modified Dolly Madison Star block have a couple of example quilts, one of which was set on point. It has a vitality that I love. Today I made 13 nine patch centre squares to get that one started. The quilt I envision will be in purple tones, some bright, some less so. I scored two lots of background fabric in pale purple tones in the Spotlight remnant bin a while back (another bargain purchase) and I’d had in mind to use them in a purple toned quilt for a while. I’d also had in the back of my mind that I really need to learn to set a quilt on point. That’s really just a fancy word for on the diagonal, but the term sounds balletic to me. I don’t think it’s going to be all that hard – the two main challenges will be assembling the quilt in the right order and cutting the half squares and quarter squares the right size.
The teeny nine patches in the centre of the modified Dolly Madison Star block are a bit fiddly as they start life as one and one half inch squares but they’re cute and after a while piecing I found myself having a good rhythm. My rhythm was better than my counting though. I initially cut enough squares for 13 nine patch blocks, then miscounted and only made up 12. I really wish I would learn to count.